Trucks are the largest vehicles on the road. They can weight up to 30 times as much as a regular passenger car. Because of this, truck accidents are one of the most dangerous to occur on the road. Due to their immense size and weight, trucks are more difficult to control on the road than smaller vehicles are. If a truck driver does not properly maintain and handle the vehicle, accidents can cause very serious injuries or even death. If you have been involved in a truck accident, it is important to consult with a skilled attorney.
Types of Accidents
There are numerous types of accidents that may occur as the result of a truck on the road. Collisions may occur between two trucks or between a truck and a smaller vehicle. The result of truck accidents may depend on the size of the vehicle it collided with. Some possible accidents may include:
- Head-on collisions
- Rollover accidents
- Blind spot accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Underride accidents
Causes of Accidents
There are many dangerous factors that can lead to truck accidents. Some of these may include:
- Reckless driving: If a truck drives unsafely, it can be more difficult to control the vehicle and bring it to a complete stop when necessary. The average truck needs a length of about two football fields in order to come to a complete stop. If a driver is driving erratically, it may be more difficult to safely navigate the truck.
- Safety regulations: Truck drivers may fail to abide by safe road regulations if they pass other vehicles improperly, change lanes unsafely, or follow behind other vehicles too closely.
- Poor visibility: Due to their weight and size, trucks have very limited visibility and cannot see all of their surroundings. These blind spots often result in accidentally trapping smaller vehicles.
- A driver’s duty: Truck drivers are limited by federal law to the amount of time they are allowed to drive. Drivers are allowed 11 hours of driving within a 14-hour work day, which is no more than 70 hours of driving a week. If a driver breaks these laws, they may cause an accident as a result of driving while exhausted.
- Mechanical problems: Trucks sometimes crash as a result of internal issues. This may include tire blowouts, brake issues, breakdowns, and more.
Contact our Firm
If you or someone you know has been injured as a result of a truck accident and seek legal representation, contact Decker, Tychostup & Friedman, LLC. today.
Decker, Tychostup & Friedman, LLC is comprised of experienced personal injury, criminal defense, and family law attorneys. Our firm is proud to serve clients in Baltimore, Maryland. If you require strong legal representation that will fight to protect your future, contact the attorneys at Decker, Tychostup & Friedman, LLC to schedule a consultation.